Buttermilk Baked Chicken
I found this recipe in a cookbook from Mars Hill, N.C., published in 1974.
4 large chicken breasts or 1 cut-up fryer
1/4 C. butter
1/2 C. buttermilk
3/4 C. flour
salt and pepper to taste
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 C. of buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Melt butter in oven safe skillet or pan that has a lid.
- Dip chicken into 1/2 C. buttermilk.
- Roll into flour, salt, pepper, and coat well.
- Put into pan and bake covered for 30 minutes. Turn and bake 15 more minutes.
- Mix 1 can of cream of chicken soup with 1 C. of buttermilk.
- Pour over chicken and continue to bake until chicken is done and sauce if bubbly.
- Sauce is delicious served over rice.