My grandmother was Mae O'Donnell. She was a great cook and a great grandmother!
1/2 C. sugar
1/4 C. flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 1/2 C. scalded milk
2 Tbls butter
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
8 inch pie shell
1/2 C. coconut
6 Tbls sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix flour, 1/2 C. sugar, and salt in the top of a double boiler.
- Add scalded milk and stir well.
- Cook over medium heat until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.
- Beat egg yolks well, stir in a little of the hot mixture and gradually pour into boiler.
- Cook over medium heat for 2 minutes stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until light and then gradually beat in 6 Tbls of sugar until stiff.
- Fold 1/3 of meringue into the cooled filling.
- Pour filling into cooled pie shell.
- Spread remaining meringue over the filling making sure to touch the edges all the way around.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cool and serve.