Red Velvet Cake
This recipe is moist and delicious. Pretty easy to make.
2 C. All Purpose Flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 tea. baking powder
2 tbls unsweetened cocoa powder
2 C. sugar
1 C. vegetable oil or canola oil
1 C. buttermilk
2 tea. vanilla extract
1 (2 oz) red food coloring
1 tea white distilled vinegar
1/2 C. plain hot coffee, prepared (don't skip this ingredient)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Grease and flour 2 9 inch round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cocoa powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine sugar and vegetable oil.
- Mix in eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring until well mixed.
- Mix in coffee and vinegar.
- Add the flour mixture and mix until smooth. (Batter will be thin).
- Pour the batter into each pan evenly.
- Bake in the middle rack for 30 to 40 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out with moist crumbs clinging to it. Do not over bake as cake will continue to cook as it cools. Let pans cool on a cooling rack until the pans are warm to the touch.
- Slide a knife around the edges to loosen the cake from the pan.
- Gently remove the cakes from the pan and let them finish cooling. (The warm cake will be very delicate).
- Once cake has cooled completely frost with cream cheese icing. With this recipe it is best to use a crumb coat first and then continue to ice cake.